Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
This organisation provides his customers chemicals and technologie to create new and improved products and sustainable solutions in more then 100 countries.Their chemistry is used in the automotive, food and beverages, personal care products, pharmaceuticals, durable goods and infrastructure, including building, construction and energy.
The EHS Engineer is part of the Zwijndrecht site EHS department including the Waste Water Treatment Plant. This department drives and supports EHS for the whole Zwijndrecht site:
179 employees, two manufacturing plants and the A&D research laboratory.
Drive projects, provide support, develop and implement policies and determine needs for maintaining and improving a high standard in EHS. Specific focus upon two disciplines: · Developing, implementing and maintaining Environmental Policies and Permits for
the Zwijndrecht site and ensuring that activities are in compliance with Dutch, European regulation and with Ashland policies. · Drive continuously improvement and provide support for the Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP) operation.
Additionally, the areas Health and Safety are a substantial part of the total scope of activities. Maintain a high standard of EHS awareness at the location
- Maintain and optimize the EHS Management System at the location;
- Work closely with plant departments and local authorities on programs and technical requirements to ensure compliance with the policies and regulation;
- Follow up on environmental permit requirements e.g. application renewals, covenants, monitoring, reporting and inspections;
- Prepare and archive environmental related documents, reports and procedures;
- Report the annual PRTR report, C02 emission trading, monitoring energy;
- Efficiency plan (MEE covenant).
- Develop and maintain environmental procedures within the VBS system.
- Daily contact environmental issues for the site.
- Perform studies and investigations related to environmental issues in order to minimize the environmental impact of processes;
- Organize and manage various measurement and registration programs and analyze the results of these measurements;
- Prepare permit applications. Monitor and ensure compliance of permit standards and other legal and business requirements;
- Keep up to date with changes in legislation and corporate standards.
- Embed these changes in the Zwijndrecht systems and culture;
- Develop and maintain a sustainable environmental document/records system;
- Coordinate WWTP
- Monitor on a daily base the performance of WWTP to ensure compliance with water and environmental permits;
- Actively preventing exceedance of environmental permit thresholds;
- Coordinate WWTP operators daily operation;
- Contact for site for WWTP daily business
- Development of structural improvements in performance of WWTP;
- Coordinate and support (preventive) maintenance and projects regarding WWTP
- Coordinate monitoring WWTP process by laboratory analyses and external water technology expertise;
- Monitor good housekeeping WWTP
- Maintain and improve standard operating procedures
- Managing waste processes
- Administration and procedural management;
- Coordinating WWTP operator at storing and disposal of various types of waste in accordance with permit conditions and business rules;
- Perform, coordinate or participate in hazard reviews, risk analysis, root cause analysis and other safety or environmental studies;
- Drive improvement projects and energize people to commit to new standards and ways of working in the field of EHS;
- Provide EHS training and instructions;
- Maintain and control assigned EHS areas of focus;
- Carrying out various administrative tasks (purchase orders, requisitions
- Bachelor degree, preferably in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering complemented by an Environmental study; or Environmental Management;
- Thorough knowledge of Dutch EHS regulations, permits, enforcement and industry practice relevant to chemical industry;
- Working experience in a BRZO-company/chemical industry is a pre;
- Working experience within a Waste Water Treatment plan is a pre.
- Fast learner with a flexible style and the ability to adjust to changing priorities;
- Excellent organizational, accuracy, administration, and prioritization skills;
- Preparation of reports, procedures and action plans and the collection of information;
- Self-starter with ability to think and act independently and to make sound recommendations;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills; Affinity with daily operation WWTP and biological processes;
- Excellent in project management and team energizing skills;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously;
- Fluent in Dutch and English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interface with internal and external contacts at all levels and in different cultures;
- Advise, work together and maintain contacts with Zwijndrecht employees and third parties;
- Initiate and promote the EHS policies within the company;
- Representative for Environmental contacts with the Dutch authorities.